22 March 2012

Dresden Plate Baby Quilt

As I have mentioned before, a friend of mine is adopting a baby girl from China. The adoption won't be finalized until later this year, when my friend will be living in Korea and we will be in Cuba. So, now's the time to give her a gift for her daughter.

I found the quilt I would use as inspiration on Pinterest, but we've already talked about that (HERE).

Using a template I found online for a 20-point Dresden Plate, I arranged my pieces and began sewing them together.

Only to find that my pieces were for a 19-point Dresden, not a 20-point.

See the extra point popping up to say hello?

So, I sewed the extra point out of the plate.

The cream background wasn't exactly the right size, so some piecing had to be done.


Once the plate & the background were done, I cut charms out of the same fabrics as the plate for the border. 
Luckily, the border was exactly 7 charms by 8 charms.

The original quilt had embroidery around the Dresden plate. I just did echo quilting.

And there you have it. A 36"x40" baby quilt.


I certainly hope that my friend will be able to wrap her little girl up soon. I wish them all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment