02 March 2012

REPEAT

Oof.  I can't believe it's been a week since I've posted.  I've had a terrible, terrible head cold that just won't go away, two kids who also have said head cold, a birthday party to plan and prep for, and...dah, dah, DAH!, I put together a portfolio this week to submit to the REPEAT competition. (Contest site here)

The competition is a Project Runway-esque vehicle to bring an independent textile designer into the professional quilting-fabric world!  I really, really don't expect to become a contestant, but I really wanted to at least try for a spot.

It has seemed silly that I'm almost 30, been a lifelong student of art/design/typography and now textiles and I don't have a real portfolio.  I suppose I'm using this contest to force me to actually put one together. And (cough, cough) I suppose I need to start putting myself out there if I ever want to accomplish anything cool.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch wind of this contest until Wednesday, and the deadline to submit a portfolio is tomorrow. If you recall, our computer crashed in January, taking all my portfolio pictures with it. Sooooo...I had some scrambling to do.

I found some previous work that I had [luckily] snapped with my phone or sent to my mom via e-mail, so I just had to clean those images up a little bit.

"Green & Blue, Leaves of Two". 30"x40". Ink on canvas.

"Mediterranean Veranda" 40" x 60". Acrylic on canvas.

And I found a couple textile designs from last fall I uploaded to Spoonflower.com:

Play on Plaid in Butter.

Exes and Ohs in Coral.

And I threw in a photo of my Prince Charming quilt to show that I actually like textiles:



So there were 5 of the requisite 6 images.  All I needed was 1 more.  This is what I came up with:
"Pennies from Heaven". "18"x24". Acrylic on Canvas.


There you have it.  My portfolio submitted to the contest. I'm looking forward to following the competition, most likely as a spectator, but now I have a slim shot of competing, right?








2 comments:

  1. Oooh, awesome! Good luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Have to admit I'm pretty excited/nervous about this.

    ReplyDelete