02 April 2011

Sunny Days, Sweeping the Clouds Away

For Christmas 2009 my son was given the Old School Sesame Street collection on DVD from his grandma.  As he was too young to really watch them then, we put them away with our other DVDs and waited until he could begin to appreciate Big Bird and Kermit the Frog.

Well, the time has come, and let me tell you, it's more fun for me than it is for him.  It's good to see my childhood friends again and to see familiar episodes and hear songs that I must have sang a hundred times as a kid.  It's like being able to go to my childhood home again.

Sesame Street is a Utopia, a place for children to feel safe and feel confident in who they are.  It's a place where one can be friends with a plethora of other people, animals, monsters.  Celebrating diversity is a reality, not just a pipe dream.  It's wonderful; it's the kind of world in which I wish I could raise my own children.

Sure, the Sesame Street of today might be geared more toward the children of today, but I would rather my kids know Maria and Mr. Hooper, Rolph and his piano, Oscar the Grouch and his pet worm.  It's not up to Sesame Street to teach my children anything at all - that's my and my husband's job - but I know from personal experience that it will leave a lasting impression of a sunny, perfect world on them.

Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

On my way, everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there, that's where we meet
Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?
How to get to Sesame Street?

Hello, Old Friends!

(This post was brought to you by the letter S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment