02 February 2011

Love Profoundly.

In honor of the beginning of the month of love, I'm going to share the opening monologue to my favorite movie, Love Actually.  For those of you who haven't seen it, the monologue is spoken by Hugh Grant to a montage of real people meeting loved ones at the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport (hence the first sentence).  They filmed real reactions of people meeting again after an absence, and it is truly touching.


"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspision love actually is all around."



I believe love goes far beyond romantic love, and one can show love in many different ways.  For me, I best express my love for those around me by spending quality time with them and making the small things count, and conversely, I feel most confident that someone loves me when they do likewise.  

Happy month of love.  I hope that you feel truly loved by someone in any sense of the word and that you are able to love someone in return.

1 comment:

  1. I love that movie! Now I want to watch it instead of cleaning! And I feel very loved, since we spend so much quality time together! Thank you for being such a great friend. :)

    ReplyDelete