20 March 2011

The Joy of Family

The past 2 weekends my husband, kids and I have been able to spend more time than usual with family.  It has been so nice and a lot of fun!  We live about 3,500 miles from where I grew up, but luckily we live much, much closer to my husband's side.  And even luckier, I love my in-laws!  My husband's parents are amazing people who are kind and giving and have been married for 30-some-odd years.  My brothers- and sisters-in-law are also great people who I very much enjoy spending time with.

We had a family barbeque at my in-law's house on Friday, where my MIL made delicious baked potatoes, a family-recipe baked bean dish and salad to accompany steaks grilled by one of my brothers-in-law.  Seriously, folks, I haven't eaten better at most restaurants I've been to!

We then had the opportunity to stay overnight at my husband's brother's house.  He's married and they have a precocious 3-year-old who I adore.  It was so nice to spend some time with them and enjoy conversation and relax.  The next night they were kind enough to keep our 2 kiddos while we celebrated our 5-year anniversary.

I feel very blessed to have married into such a great family.  It is hard for me to be so far away from my own family, with whom I am very close.  I am able to talk to them on the phone daily, and skype occasionally, but it's not the same as spending time with them in person.  It was balm for my soul to spend time with my husband's family this weekend.

If you're one of my in-laws, thank you so much for being a great family and making me a part of it.

If you're one of my far-away family, I miss you so much and cannot wait to see you again.

Much love to all of my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment