04 March 2011

Quilts for Kids

Recently, as I was looking at random quilting websites online, I stumbled across the website for the organization Quilts for Kids.  This organization collects quilts made by hand by volunteers and gives them to long-term hospitalized children.  I immediately knew I had to be involved in this organization.


**Quilts for Kids Website**

I have wanted to volunteer for something for a long time, but haven't been able to find a niche that would also allow me to keep my children close by and wouldn't necessarily mean people were dependent upon me showing up at specific times.  Toddlers aren't really conducive to that, and right now my babies come first.  But quilting comfort blankets for kids in the hospital is something I can do right now.  I've been quilting for 2 months now, and it's very easy to get projects done quickly when the kids are napping or down for the night.  My biggest obstacle has been trying to find uses for everything I've made, and volunteering to make quilts will alleviate that "problem".

I'm looking forward to busting out some fun quilts for kids and teens!  If you have a favorite quilt pattern, color scheme or idea that is kid-friendly, please share.  I need all the ideas I can get right now!


Some patterns I've found that I think are fun and child-friendly:




My favorite so far!

3 comments:

  1. http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2011/03/unwind.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JaybirdQuilts+%28jaybird+quilts%29

    A new pattern I saw today. It's kind of like the one you posted from MBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! The first two quilts you put up are ones I've bookmarked in my 'quilting' folder to make soon. So yes, I agree - they're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dawn! I think I like yours better - the stars as negative space instead of the other way around.

    Jody - We must be related! :)

    ReplyDelete